Saturday 14 February 2015

Textile Adventures in Jewellery

A few years ago I did some experimenting with textile jewellery.

I even thought about opening an Etsy shop but family life got in the way and next time I had some time for crafts I decided to turn my attention to garment sewing. I still have a lot of these pieces, most of them have been packed up in my mother-in-laws loft in Ireland, but one or two made it with us to sunny Saudi. Craftsy are running a competition for handmade accessories so I thought I would pull them out and photograph them. I love this necklace, textile necklaces can be quite stiff, this was an experiment in creating movement. I used groups of four felt balls, three orange one black sewn together, then threaded the cord through the middle. The balls can move around and the necklace has nice drape.

This second necklace I wore on my wedding day. I love that when working with felt you can match colours to any fabrics or texture.
My dress was a greeny silver chiffon and the silk in these beads reflected that texture and the colours complemented perfectly.
These beads were part of explorations of texture that included using silk to imitate pearls and fun ways of using them in designs. These are the more sensible designs I made which I would wear often. Next time I'm in Ireland I'll photograph the rest, some of them are quite experimental and I've more ideas that one day I'll get back to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment