This is based on my name in Arabic cut in lino
And this is based in my initials in a Roman alphabet cut in japanese ply with files and nails.
I tried layering these
This print is on a paper bag. The paper was not absorbent so this took a very long time to dry and was a bit patchy.
I love the shapes created by repeating and layering this block, further abstracting the calligraphy.
These blocks are quite small, (15x20cm) so I would like to make a bigger piece by more repeating and layering. I also started to include collage of tissue papers printed with the same blocks which were semi transparent when laid over the other papers. All of these papers were packaging papers I found, many were not absorbent enough for effective printing.
These are my first two attempts, the second one was much better for tearing the paper and printing over it again. I developed this more:
Overall I created some nice textures here and am more pleased with the composition of this piece as the balance of value works better.
This composition is a bit jumbled.
I don't know whether to continue with this idea or try to rearrange my blocks with less collage and more composition through printing. I have some lovely silk tissue papers to try.
I originally wanted to add a third block to this, or even more, in foam, possibly portraits of my children but this is much harder than I anticipated. Maybe that stage of development will come for the final submission.