Tuesday 18 April 2017

Picasso Violins

After playing around with explorations of structural shapes to represent Mingus II BS I tried one based on the outline of my double bass and put all my shapes and lines for all the different sections inside it. The bass begins and ends the piece, it is the foundation and continuos line throughout.



This exploration reminded me a little of Picasso and his violin and guitar paintings:


Guitar And Violin


Date: c.1912
Media: oil,  canvas
Dimensions: 54.3 x 65.5 cm
Location: Hermitage Museum, Saint Petersburg, Russia


CĂ©ret and Sorgues, spring-summer 1912

These paintings are both early cubist style of analytical cubism. The object is viewed from multiple angles and the image is made up of multiple viewpoints and overlapping planes ("Analytical Cubism").

In my exploration I realized that the outline bass would have to be very large to allow me space to complete all the details I want to add to this. I could try another version where I use drawings from different angles for different parts of the instrument and different sections of the piece. Each section of the piece is a different plane and they overlap making one image. Each section could be a different block.

"Analytical Cubism". Tate.org.uk. N.p., 2017. Web. 23 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment